Procedure for shipping ENFD specimen
Specimen Fixation / Rinse Procedure
We’ve provided Zamboni's fixative (yellow fluid) for specimen fixation.
Your specimen MUST be placed in Zamboni's for at least 8 hours, but because it is a weak acid, no more than 24 hours.
It is strongly recommended that ALL biopsies be placed in Zamboni's overnight, and then rinsed first thing the following morning (procedure described below).
This rinse involves two simple steps; a bona-fide rinsing step and then emersion into cryoprotectant.
The rinse takes only a minute; An instructional video is available here on Waynes World:
Immediately After Biopsy:
1. Place the 3mm punch biopsy in yellow fixative (labeled #1) for no less than 8 hours (it’s best to fix overnight), but no more than 24 hours. Refrigerate; DO NOT FREEZE!
The Following Morning:
2. Pour off the Zamboni's fixative, leaving the skin biopsy in its vial (pour into a dish to prevent losing the biopsy).
3. Refill biopsy tube with buffer rinse (labeled #2), to neutralize the Zamboni's.
4. Pour off buffer rinse (into dish), again leaving skin biopsy in its original tube.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 using the remaining buffer rinse (labeled #2).
6. Lastly, fill the vial containing the biopsy with cryoprotectant (labeled #3) and screw the cap on TIGHTLY.
7. Ship to Bako in Styrofoam cooler (provided) using FedEx priority overnight (prepaid shipping labels provided with kit).
Biopsies left in Zamboni's fixative must be shipped Mon-Fri. Tissue sent over weekends or holidays REQUIRE rinse and cryoprotection steps!
Please contact Bako Pathology Services at 855-4Bako-CTS or to let us know the package has been shipped.